$19,999 for Epstein's Beatles 'Butcher'
The controversial album considered a favorite among vinyl collectorsDecember 17, 2013
By James Massey
(Source: WhatSellsBest.com) - A rare Beatles 'Butcher' album, once owned by The Beatles manager Brian Epstein has fetched $19,999.
According to the Beatles memorabilia dealer who sold the album; "This is easily the most important copy of any album i've ever offered to date. It is an original 1966 U.S. first state stereo Butcher cover 'Yesterday and Today' album that was the personal copy of Beatles manager and close friend to the band, Mr. Brian Epstein!"
Why's It Rare?
In 1966, The Beatles 'Butcher' (album) cover was used in an early release of "Yesterday and Today." The album immediately drew criticism due to the image of The Beatles being covered in raw-meat and baby-doll parts.
Things were so bad... When Capital Records first released the album, most stores would not carry it. Sears only carried the album for one-day before pulling it from their shelves.
This led to a majority of albums being recalled so a less controversial image (sticker) could be placed over the original album cover, making the original (first-state) versions extremely scarce.
Add the fact that this particular album was personally owned by The Beatles manager, Brian Epstein... and it adds whole new level of rarity.
Back in January of 2010, an unopened copy of the album (unopened in its original 1966 factory shrink wrap) sold on eBay for $26,099.
Rare Beatles items are also one of the hottest collectibles in the marketplace today, often fetching staggering amounts.
Earlier this year (March, 2013) a rare copy of The Beatles - Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967), signed by all four band members, sold for $290,500. The sale broke the world record for the most expensive record sold at that time.
Video: The Beatles Butcher back-story, from a 2003 Antiques Roadshow appraisal
Auction Data & Statistics
The Beatles 'Butcher Album' received 37 bids from 18 bidders over the course of 7 days. The opening bid on October 22nd, was 99 cents. The final bid was $19,999. The eBay view-counter recorded over 1,800 visitors to the listing. The auction ended on Tuesday, December 17 (2013), at 2:00pm Pacific Standard Time.
For more information and close-up photos of the album see; **eBay auction listing; #201001786136 (auction links may expire after 90 days).
Related Beatles Items, Auctions, and Information:
- Sold: $290k for Rare Signed Beatles Record
- Sold: $12k for Rare Beatles Record-Player
- Sold: $13,000 for Rare Beatles Demo
- Beatles Dominate Vintage Record Sales in 2012 (Top 7)
- Sold: $17k for 'Lucky Find' Beatles Record
- Sold: $15k for Mint Beatles 'Butcher'
- Sold: $35k for Extremely Rare Beatles Demo
- Sold: $22k for Rare Beatles / Ifield Album
- Sold: $14k for Beatles Vee-Jay Album
- Sold: $42k for Beatles 'Cavern Club' Poster
- Sold: $24k for Beatles Please Please Me Record
- Sold: $26k Sealed Beatles "Butcher" Record
- Sold: $7k for Super Secret Beatles Ticket
- Ten Top Beatles items sold on eBay
- Bids Stall at $31k for Beatles 'Sleeve'
- Top 25 Vintage Vinyl Records on eBay