SOLD - Vintage Disney Map Fetches $708,000
Drawn in Days... it Launched a Magic Kingdom
CBS Philly reports on the sale of the hand-drawn vintage Disneyland map.
July 4, 2017
By James Massey, What Sells Best News
Map was a Last-Minute Idea
The idea for a map came to Walt in 1953, a few days before Roy was set to travel to New York for the investor meeting. To get it done, he had to convince artist Herb Ryman to do the work in just two-days.
Given-Away as Gift
In 1955, Walt Disney gave the map to Grenade Curran a Disney production assistant. In the 1970s Curran sold the map to Ron Clark, a Disneyana collector. Clark is the one who sold the map in this auction.
10 Disney Items Fetching $100,000... or More
Rare Disney collectibles are highly desired by top Disneyana Collectors, who will sometimes pay more than $100,000 for certain items.
Here's a few examples (note: final prices may vary due to currency exchange rates and/or buyer premiums):
- SOLD (VIDEO) - $101,000 for 1928 Mickey Mouse Stock Poster at Heritage Auctions in November of 2012.
- SOLD (PHOTO) - $116,000 for 1940 Disney Comic Book at Heritage Auctions in November of 2008.
- SOLD (VIDEO) - $129,000 for 1967 Pirates of the Caribbean 'Cursed Drinker' Prop at Van Eaton Galleries in March of 2015.
- SOLD (PHOTO) - $138,000 for 1933 Disney 'Mad Doctor' Cartoon Poster at Heritage Auctions in March of 2006.
- SOLD (PHOTO) - $147,000 for 1937 Disney 'Snow White' Animation Cel at Profiles in History in July of 2012.
- SOLD (VIDEO) - $153,400 for 1970s Disneyland Animatronic 'Tiki Room' Bird at Van Eaton Galleries in February of 2015.
- SOLD (VIDEO) - $172,000 for 1969 Disneyland Haunted Mansion 'Stretch' Painting at Van Eaton Galleries in November of 2016.
- SOLD (VIDEO) - $210,000 for Walt Disney's 1924 Letter to Mickey Creator at Profiles in History in May of 2011.
- SOLD (VIDEO) - $471,000 for 1967 Disneyland 'PeopleMover' Ride Vehicles at Van Eaton Galleries in November of 2015.
- SOLD (VIDEO) - $708,000 for 1953 Original Disney Map at Van Eaton Galleries in June of 2017.
Van Eaton Galleries, sold the map on June 25, 2017 for $708,000. The sale is reportedly is the highest amount ever paid for a Disney Map. The gallery specializes in fine art, animation art, and Disney related items.